Attention: This is just the PCB! Does not come with any other parts. Please see the Bill of Materials link below to find out what parts you will need to complete your build.
The Face the Fuzz is a modern take on a classic sound, modeled after the Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face but with some important upgrades and modifications. Get the reliability of temperature-stable silicon transistors plus a wider sonic response or stick with the original Germanium PNP transistors for that classic tone just like the likes of Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, and George Harrison played!
What is the difference between Synthrotek's two fuzz pedals: Face the Fuzz and the Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone? The Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone uses the classic circuit that is known and loved by many, and everybody loves a classic. We designed the Face the Fuzz with a few key changes to make it more useful to the modern musician: a wider frequency response, the ability to daisy-chain the power with a 1 Spot, and the option to use temperature-stable Silicon transistors.
When selecting Germanium transistors, know that all versions of the Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone and the Face the Fuzz circuits come with hand-tested and selected premium AC128 NOS PNP transistors. We test all of our AC128s for optimum gain and leakage current so that they are guaranteed to bias properly and sound great! We choose lower gain transistors for Q1 and higher for Q2 according to our strict standards. Be assured that you will be playing a premium product that takes the guess work out of Germanium transistor testing.
When selecting silicon transistors, be aware that the circuit can self-oscillate when at full volume and and full fuzz.
- 2 controls - Fuzz & Level - to tweak your tone
- Fuzz: send your tone from subtle to razor blades
- Level: adjusts your output or boost level
- On-board bias trim pot (accessed by unscrewing the back panel) lets you adjust transistor bias level for a variety of new Fuzz tones!
- Wider frequency response than the Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone
- True bypass
- 9V Battery or 9V center negative DC adapter (can be daisy-chained by using a 1 Spot or equivalent adapter)
- Choose temperature-stable BC558 silicon transistors or NOS germanium AC128 transistors.
- Wider frequency response than the Arbiter Fuzz Face Clone.
- Fits in a 1590B or 1590BB aluminum case
- Choose to PCB-mount or wire your PCB. It's the same PCB either way, but each way has slightly different components, different sized cases and a different Bill of Materials.
- PCB silkscreen, through-hole components with careful on-board placement, and wire-tension relief holes were designed with the DIYer in mind!
- PCB Dimensions: 2 1/8 x 3 1/8 inches (5.4cm x 7.9cm)
Power on your pedal and plug a cable into the input jack. To be optimally biased, the collector of Q2 needs to be at 4.5 volts. (When connecting the Face the Fuzz circuit to your multimeter as shown in the photos below, your meter will read -4.5V.) The 20K trim pot is used to dial in this value. All you need to do is connect your leads to a ground on the PCB and the collector of Q2 to get this reading.
FACE THE FUZZ biasing guide